Friday, June 19, 2009

Thing 8

Copyright or Creative Commons?
You would think that being a librarian and having graduated from "Library School" I'd understand copyright. Well, I don't. At least not as to how it relates to student or teacher created lessons that are meant to show acquired knowledge or teach that same knowledge. Even that sentence is confusing. Creative Commons has the potential to answer a lot of my questions. Lawrence Lessig's blog gives some really good examples of how Creative Commons works. It still leaves some questions in my mind. When creating lessons, flipcharts, or other presentations how much music or content can you use and still be legal? Can patriotic music be used when teaching about National holidays? The questions keep coming. I browsed on Flickr and found many images that used Creative Commons, but the explanation as to what the guidelines are for use are still a little confusing. So, I guess, that my bottom line opinion is that Creative Commons is worthy of a lot more study. PS. I do love the Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education. Very helpful.

1 comment:

  1. The important thing to remember, I think, is that you are very safe when using media that has a Creative Commons license. If you are using a Creative Commons image or song without making any modifications, you can use it just by giving the creator credit/attribution.

    ReplyDelete