Friday, July 3, 2009

Thing 22

I got a Facebook account about a year ago. I did it because a couple of the people at the office had one and it just seemed the thing to do. I have had so much fun on it since then. It is the wave of the present, not the future. I have connected with people from work, highschool, college, and neighbors long moved away. I am "friends" with both my children and several of their friends and their friends' parents. It is the way kids communicate and network. I heard recently that Facebook was been taken over by the Boomers. Well, they certainly are visible on Facebook.
Like any internet site, you have to be careful with what you post and who you allow to see your page. My son (27) has over 600 friends some of whom he doesn't really know.
They are friends of friends. I worry about that. All of the people I have as friends, I really do know and feel marginally certain that I can trust them.
If properly monitored, I could see that Facebook could help students connect with classrooms in other parts of the country or even other countries to study and communicate. At the very least, they could get a sense of what it is like to be a teenager in another place outside their comfort zone. There is an age limit on Facebook, so I believe this would only be a high school consideration. However, there is nothing that would prevent teachers from networking and sharing on Facebook.
This is a link to my page. Be my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment